View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #38
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Merricat,

I'm not a fangame developer (although I've helped out on quite a few fangames). I'm a working designer and have no hostile relationships with any publishers. I make my living designing games and have done so for almost 20 years. In the past few years, I've found it preferable to freelance, so I generally work more closely with the development houses than with the publishers themselves, and I'm glad I've removed myself from that process.

I simply keep my expectations very low when it comes to publishers. Occasionally I'm delighted when I find integrity and common sense ruling the day, but I think I'm not alone in my opinion: if you ask most development houses, you'll find a general consensus that publishers -- especially the older, bigger ones -- are not to be trusted. That's not to say that there aren't honest, hardworking people working there...but that the decision-making process is very often broken by people with ulterior motives.

Thanks for the advice, though...it's perfectly good advice for people who choose to go the fangame route. Personally, when I work with fangame groups, I urge them in the strongest possible terms to NOT make derivative works or remakes, but some of them are more interested in keeping older games or series alive.

Best regards,
Josh

Last edited by Josho; 11-18-2007 at 05:19 PM.