Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
Jeysie, your logic escapes me. You're claiming:

A. KQIX had fan support;
B. Vivendi made the KQIX team a lousy offer (you have not established a causal relationship between A & B, but you choose to assume one);
Actually, I offered two possibilities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Was Vivendi going to simply shut down the fangame, no quarter, and the fan response prompted them to make *some* kind of offer? Or did Vivendi straight from the get-go make the "sign everything over to us and still release or we shut you down" offer?
Quote:
C. SQ7 did not have fan support;
D. Vivendi later made the SQ7 team the same offer; therefore
E. Both fangames "benefitted" from KQIX's fan support.

Even if one assumes the causal relationship between A & B, it doesn't begin to establish one between A and D, and the conclusion you're drawing is built on more than one unfounded assumption.
The relationship between A and D is: If A&B *are* connected, then it makes sense for Vivendi to then offer similar terms to other fangames, because one, the precedent they set gives the new fangame ammunition, and two, they know they scored the first time and would want to try again.

Quote:
Let's give you your A&B assumption for the sake of argument, and also give you your assumption that due to the KQIX fanbase response, Vivendi will now make this lousy offer to everyone. If we assume both of those, then we should be damning the KQIX fan response for making it HARDER for every fangame to get produced from now on.
You can damn the KQIX team for accepting the unpleasant terms and setting a precedent. You can also damn the KQIX team for not trying to parlay that fan support into more favorable terms. But you can't blame the fans for being happy with the result since they believed the team was happy because the team kept them in the dark.

Quote:
So all that PR no longer buys you anything...except, as you suggest, other intangibles that have nothing to do with whether or not you get to proceed with your project.
Though it does at least guarantee there's someone left to care if you complete your project or not, especially since fangames are made for the love of the franchise and the community, not money. Plus it's nice to know people would be willing to ride on the coattails of someone else's hard work.

Quote:
Perhaps we should both just agree that keeping a COMPLETELY low profile is (and, in SQ7's case, WOULD have been) the only proven, established way to go unless one is ready, willing, and able to sign over all the work to the legitimate copyright holder, who will not compensate for the work.

And maybe we should leave it at that.
We do agree that that is the best way to deal with a corporate company that prefers to treat its fans and franchises like dirt. (There are in fact some companies that realize how valuable fan input is, but sadly the two adventure game giants of old don't qualify.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."