View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #18
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
I see. So instead of waiting to see IF there's a huge outpouring of fan support and then responding, they automatically make the same (lousy) offer to every single fangame? Could be. But again, that's an assumption.
Well, obviously they *did* decide to make the same offer to other fangames, so...

Quote:
What's unreasonable is expecting an organization that has ONE task -- a colossal task at that -- to ALSO function in numerous SUBSIDIARY ways that YOU PERSONALLY wanted them to function.
The KQIX folks did it... I can fault them for several things, but they understood that PR is an important aspect of making a game and that having a PR person on the team is a very good move if you're not going to take the "completely low profile" tactic.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting a vibrant fan community for SQ. There's something very wrong with layng that responsibility entirely on one small group that's simply trying to put out a fangame.
If the team members simply interacted with the fans regularly, much in the same way they used to *before* they started the game, or they at least made regular updates with some actual info and proof as opposed to vague promises, that's all that would be needed. The influx of something concrete to look forward to might have been enough to sustain interest.

You're asking like hoping to see the fans from a community to continue acting like the fans in a community they used to be is some incredibly weird and unreasonable concept. I missed talking to a lot of those guys when they suddenly decided to more or less drop off the face of the community, even outside of any information on the game.

As it is, even if the game did get released, I doubt there would have been much of anyone around to care except for a handful of die-hards. Personally I'm also completely surprised it was even as far along as it was; everything public about the project suggested it had just dropped off the face of the earth. That's the other side of the thing... after all the hard work, Colin and the team deserve kudos and lots of people willing to play the game, not folks blinking and going, "Oh, they actually finished it? Huh."

Anyway, the end result is here, no real sense for me in worrying about "might have beens". It'll be interesting to see how other potential fangames decide to approach these sorts of issues.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."