View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
But I don't think that "strong fan support" has anything to do with this particular situation, does it? KQIX had strong fan support. SQ7, comparably, didn't. They both faced the same offer from Vivendi (and made different decisions). Where do you see that "strong fan support" impacted this situation?
The journey, as it were. When I look at the KQIX folks, and AGDI as well, I see living communities of fans that are excited about the projects and involved in their own creative side ventures/contests inspired by those projects. Having something new on the horizon that they can be emotionally involved with and talk about.

When I look at the SQ community, however, I see something that's pretty much orbiting the drain. I don't think it'll ever fall in, but it's not going much of anywhere either.

I realize that your main concern is with releasing the game. But my admittedly selfish POV as a fan is that I want there to *be* a community to care about the game when it's released.

If it had rallied the fan interest and still got shut down, there'd still be the result of the renewed community to make it have been worthwhile. As it is... all I sort of feel is "meh". I mean, even one of the old SubChan posters who's still a die-hard SQ fan and misses the forum, had nothing but an "Eh, I knew Vivendi would shut them down; I didn't think they were going to get anywhere anyway" and a shrug to offer at the news. Pretty sad and miserable to me.

I didn't leave the SQ community because I hated it; I left because, like many of the other "oldbies" that left, there was simply nothing left to say any more.

Plus, you just don't *know* how it might have gone. The KQIX fans were kept blind to the details of Vivendi's shut down and offer, so one could argue they couldn't have an impact. (After all, they were just relieved to have the project continue any way possible.)

But a lot of devoted SQ fans who *knew* what was going on might have been able to push that same support into convincing Vivendi to bend. You don't know for sure. But I do know Vivendi's pretty much got you over a barrel here, because you've definitely got nothing to offer them. They know the SQ fans aren't really going to peep, because there's so few of us left.

And while I'm pleasantly surprised at a new game company coming out of this, I doubt it'll help much. Look at what happened to the aborted official SQ7 projects, after all. I think it'd take a really big name, established game company to make Vivendi consider giving up control to a bunch of games it looks like nobody really cares about any more.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."