View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
So tell me again what all that fantastic fan support got the KQIX team.
A thriving community with inspired fans; a lot of excited artists willing to help; fun contests, auditions, and other events; and a lot of exposure for the people on the project.

Even if the KQIX team turned down the deal, they'd *still* have had a lot of good fan memories and fun and a very nice bit of exposure/experience/promotion for anyone on the team who continued in gaming work. I got to read a game script, go to my first "real" audition, and do a VA recording session.

Whereas the SQ community has gotten rather anemic, many fans were getting pretty apathetic about the game ever getting released, I know Colin's always had a struggle attracting people to help, and what happens in the end? Vivendi *still* shuts them down, something which quite frankly doesn't surprise me one bit, and I told Colin as much way back when, too.

Now, if Colin had flown *completely* under the radar... not told Vivendi anything until the game was ready to go, that'd be another story, an equally intelligent decision. But instead... all this "halfway" solution accomplished was that a lethargic community sees a nearly invisible game just as quietly disappear into the ether.

I mean, not picking either extreme ended up with pretty much a lose-lose situation... you keep the fans from being able to have any excitement in the progress of the game, *and* you show Vivendi the giant "Kick Me" sign on your back.

Even if Colin *had* hyped the game and gotten the fan community into it all, and Vivendi shut them down anyway... at least we'd still have that gathered community still going and any of the stuff the team had released and any new ideas the project inspired. I miss the SQ community a great deal, but you can only go so far on empty nostalgia with nothing new.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."