View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #25681
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Oh yeah, and just to wrap things up, the downloading is indeed has a lot to do with the ads. I downloaded Ã*t one time and lo behold, a moving add appeared. It still asks for the download and when I don't download it, the add space just says "cannot connect to page" or whatever the English equivalent of the message is. Sometimes just a blank space.

Now this makes me wonder if space can be called blank. I mean first of all, people say that space is empty, but then how can space be empty if we are there? Of course, if space were empty, it should be blank, right? But then space is black - the color associated with blank isn't black, as one might expect from the word "blank", but rather white.

Of course it might just be rhetorical as most things actually. One might say that everything is rethorical as everything happens in your mind actually. In a way nothing is "real" so that you can be sure it is the same for everyone because who knows how people experience something that youu see in one way. Like colors, you can't actually be sure that everyone sees the colors like you do, as there's no way to confirm it. You can't ask how they would describe it as people affiliate the same things with the same color - it has more to do with enviromental influences than actual effects of the color, in a way.

and when we think about that, how can we be sure that anything is real? To go a bit sidetracked (but should that be side-tracked? Well, anyways (or anyway)) some researchers or whatever said that (as least this is what I heard) there's about a 30% chance or something like that that we are actually living in a Matrix-like artificial world.

But back to what I was saying, the other thing that reminded me of is a certain (very good) short story by Dostoevsky, "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man". I read it sort of by chance (I had read Dostoevsky) in school a long time ago, but it had a certain part in it that, if I had to choose one (and then why would I have to make the choice at all, it is not a likely question), has had the most effect on me (of all stuff I've read). Talking about why he should worry about a certain moral dilemma, as if he dies it will not matter anyways as the world will disappear anyways, at least from his part (a very good, very good part. It actually (in a way) took a couple reads (not so much the times read but the time thinking about it) to actually get what it was saying.)

And on the subject of classics, there's now a chance for students to get to see classic Italian movies for free. I thought it was on yesterday and was going to go see PaisÃ* by Roberto Rosselini but alas, it was actually tuesday. The next round (with different movies though) will be monday, I'll have to see if I'll go then. I think each movie gets two shows. I'm especially interested in seeing Fellini's (who is one of my favorite directors) I Vitelloni or The Young and the Passionate or Spivs or whatever...

And... No wait, I lost my thought... I'm sure you get what I was saying though.