View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #991
Christian IV
Adventure Game Researcher

Started Guild Wars Factions and Gothic III last week. Guild Wars is back in the box for good i think, the graphics are too substandard to make it worth my while to learn the technalities of the game. So many compromises graphically and just a base quality woirld, I am sad about this as there was a lot of hype for the series and I was hopeful. The newest release was unfortunately limited by requring a Level 20 previous character in one of the other games, which was a major marketing snafu, indeed a rip off deluxe i would say, as it makes you buy one of the earlier less advanced graphically versions, and I fear it will keep me out of the series. Ah well, there is good news to balance this off........

Gothic III is one of the best games i have looked at in a LONG time, it is a wonder and a delight. The game world is HUGE and beautifully detailed, in fact, i venture to say on a par with Oblivion and quite different in feeling. The many quests and main story line are well done indeed, all dialog is spoken out loud including the main character, a major flaw in OB....and I just love G III very much. I am taking time to work thru the first time so dont expect to get far fast, but am enjoying it very very much. JoWood did a remarkable job on it. The graphics decisions are excellent and beautifuly rendered. Will report more as i advance, one thing, if you play it, be sure NOT to liberate more than 2 towns to any one faction, or your will find your quests limited significiantly. It is good to get into the story too to learn the sublties. I made the mistake of siding against the Orcs from the start and am having to replay some of my progress, but it will keep the game open to the greatest degree. Word to the wise.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs