View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #2937
Lucien21
Psychonaut

- First time at the movies in a few months.

Stardust

An adaption a Neil Gaiman illustrated novel of the same name. Although certainly not a strict adaption it certainly has the basic outline and some of the scenes from the book wrapped up in a lighter fairytale. Shortening the journey through Stormhold from 6mths to 1 week makes the transformation of Tristan a tad unbelievable, but that's me nitpicking.

Tristan is a shy shopboy madly in love with the local beauty (Victoria). He lives in the villiage of Wall which is a gate between England and Stormhold (a faerie land). To win the heart of Victoria he agrees to fetch a fallen star from the world beyond the wall and return within a week.

What follows is a funny and charming adventure through a skewed fantasy world of evil witches, evil Princes battling for the throne, strange pirates and a fallen star who is really a girl.

Loved it. It's not a perfect film and I certainly thought it needs a different soundtrack as the one it has is far too loud and over the top as to be distracting.

The SFX are good, but spotty in a few areas.

The acting is mostly great with Claire Danes the georgeous fallen star, Michelle Pfiffer as the evil witch and Robert D Niro as a hard as nails pirate . Ricky Gervais appears as himself as usual and is mostly wasted.

Anyway, Certainly worth a watch.

4/5