View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #11
Terramax

A year ago I would have told you that I hated 1st person adventures with a passion. These days I'm playing them more frequently than 3rd persons, which all seem to be seeking the same 'realism' style. I play adventures to get away from realism so I've recently self indulged in Myst III and Amerzone (terrific games, both worth trying if wanting to get into 1st person).

Darkness Within gave me a really good impression. I couldn't get into Scratches because of the control style and the overtly stereotypical British accents and although I can't remember too much about it, I think it had way too many rooms.

Darkness Within has some terrific set pieces. The attic especially looks wonderful with the sun peering through. Does anyone know if there are any more rooms that have the same, slightly lighter touches?

There's also a good balance of the amount of things you can look at. Not too much and not too little.

WARNING: ANOTHER ONE OF MY RANTS

My only major gripe is the amount of damn reading that went on in the first room. Why can't developers find a better way of telling a story than just leaving notes just lying around the place.

Myst III was minimalist with the amount of reading, and Myst Revelation had voice actors read out letters if you just wanted to sit back and relax. Please developers, if you're reading this, put this into greater consideration.

END OF RANT

Will I buy this? I think I might just do so. I'd like to get my 26inch monitor 1st to make the experience that bit better though. I think that attic would look REAL good on a HD 26"