View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #49
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Oblivion offers adventures of another kind. Click the pic to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek View Post
Also, add "environments that feel like they're not just there for me to move around in" to that list. I want to get some sense that, if my character weren't there, the world would still keep going. I'm sick of only being able to interact with things that relate directly to what I'm doing, and only seeing characters who have a bearing on the plot somehow. Give me some pedestrians, for Christ's sake! It can't be that hard; I remember seeing random, uninteractable pedestrians in the streets in games from the early '90s.
These two are among my biggest grievances. It's always annoying when the only things you can interact with on the screen are the puzzles or the items to help solve them.

As for NPCs and such that ignite the gameworld into a beautiful vivacious place to explore, forget it. It'll probably be a long time before developers can actually afford to do that (with time, money, or talent). I say this in the light of being spoiled rotten by games such as Oblivion, Beyond Good & Evil, and Jade Empire. They're not adventure games but they at least created a world for us where we could easily while our time away chatting with characters and observing life around us and feeling like we really do belong, before stopping and remembering that there are puzzles to solve and a main story to unravel.

If you want a taste of how such a world could look and feel, click the pic above for a brief movie.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien