View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #2909
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

The Reaping

OK horror movie. Not as cleverly twisty as it thinks it is but has some very nice set pieces and decent acting from all the leads. Not something I'd hurry to see again but definitely worth a look if you just want an enjoyable but not too taxing horror with some nice special effects. Has some basis on the plagues of Egypt (from the Bible) and one nice monologue from the lead detailing a brief scientific round-up of what could have caused them. A DVD extra sort of promised to expand on this but didn't really do the job.

Sunshine

Like the concept (the sun is dying. The movie follows a crew sent to reignite it) Sadly they couldn't stick with this story and the struggles of the crew to survive in this harsh environment to reach their goal (which IMHO has plenty of scope). Instead they decide to tack on a highly implausible horror plot that destroyed my suspension of disbelief. Worse, Danny Boyle, uses this subplot as an excuse to slam in a load of the shaky out-of-focus shots he so loved in 28 days later. I'm sure he considers them clever and arty but after a while they are just plain aggravating.

Amusing casting choice. The crew sent to make the sun "Flame On!" contains the Human Torch from the Fantastic 4 films.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree