View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #214
Colin
Music bod

Default C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London/Paris - it's true, I was there.

Hi all I just found this place after doing a random Google search for a project I was involved in in 1993...

My name is Colin Bennun and I was responsible for the writing the music, sound, video editing and dialog recording/editing/dubbing for C.I.T.Y. 2000 (London). It's good to know that somewhere out there, people still remember it; I thought it had sunk without a trace!

Although I was involved in various aspects of the game (including recording and editing dialog for a German language version!), my main contribution was the intro and in-game music, which was written in my bedroom in the flat which I and my roommates shared with Aditus - the game was written by 5 geeks in the front room of my house. Although most people would have heard it in low-quality 2/4-operator FM from their soundcard's onboard synths, the original music was made in glorious technicolor on a Roland desktop GM module (also available as a playback option) and it was these versions that I recorded to DAT when they were written. I have them (or most of them, I think) on CD now, and would be glad to rip and upload them as MP3 files (or even WAVs if desired) and provide links to anyone who wanted them, should there be any demand. I know this is a poor substitute for a shrink-wrapped copy of the whole game, but there's no way I'm selling mine and anyway the shrinkwrap has long since deceased!

Re: Paris C.I.T.Y. 2000 - I knew at the time that the photos had been taken for this but I don't recall the game itself having been made; my recollection (quite possibly inaccurate if you have other information) was that the Canadian backer pulled the plug after the London game bombed. Perhaps Jon found another investor and made the game after our time at the flat ended. I did however write the theme music for the Paris game (I wonder if it was ever used?), and I'd be glad to upload that with the others if anyone wants it.

I hope this post has been useful to some of you; if you want the music please send me an email - I will likely be checking back here very seldom

Best,

Colin