View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #42
Cage

I usually think I'm very picky with adventure games, but sometimes it seems more of I don't know what the hell I want. But that usually goes along with story, and the puzzles that surround the game.

I DO know I like point and click, it seems like I have more time to judge whats in front of me. When I have to use keys to navigate, I feel so much more rushed and there seems to be so many more variables. Which isn't always a BAD thing, but it can be quite overwhelming.

I'm also a fan of 2-D ones as well, again, everything just seems more under control. Rather than 3-D where I find myself getting lost a lot, and that may be just because I have a poor skill level with those kinds of games. So, meh.

However I can agree with the OP's claim with some puzzles in adventure games. Especially mainstream ones, which bug me the most. It just seems like the creators are so much more concerned about the game looking pretty, rather than the game being smart and fun to play. And some MS games to me are smart, but most of the time... unrealistically smart.

For example, Evidence. At first glance at the game, and reading the story, it comes off as intriguing. My brother bought me the game because he knows I'm really the whole who-dun-it games, horror, mystery, etc. So he read the back, saw some pictures, and the game comes packaged all fancy. BUT, the game is just strictly puzzles. Like a crazy, 3-D board-game that didn't come with the rules book. Some of the puzzles were smart, but had me on the verge of throwing my computer out the window. For instance, there was one puzzle where I had to check my email (which WAS a neat concept, how you received emails from the murderer, and other bots), read some message, and figure out some keywords. Google that keyword, find the correct link to some historical article, then Google-map that, and find the town it's located in...UGH!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like digging up clues as much as the next guy, but when it comes to playing the game out of frustration to figure out ONE piece of the puzzle, versus playing it to see what happens next, I'm ready to throw that stuff out.

One of the worst parts about that is, it doesn't really advance the story-line or plot at all.. for me. I just don't get it. I know not ALL games are like that, but gets lame when I go to a store to check out games, and all the ones I see are like that.. same kind of formula.

I will say thank goodness for this forum and the users on here to point me in a direction of games that I can enjoy. Someone stated earlier, Barrow Hill, is a good one to check out. And so far, totally is. No impossible to find clues, point and click, neat story, puzzles that RELATE to the story and unravel more clues, and just plain fun. (rather than puzzles that involve giving you some stupid object once you solve a specific puzzle, resulting in you using the item ONE TIME hours into the game, and by that time you forget where the freaking object came from... *exhale*)

Lastly, in all seriousness, I hope I don't piss anyone off with my opinion, I'm just really stern on my taste. Haha.