View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
TangentBlack
Vigilant

It has been a while since I have played Grim, but there are some puzzles that do follow an altered classic format that you described in Monkey Island. For example, in year two it was necessary to release a union bee from prison and at the same time you could be working on trying to get Glottis to stop gambling. In BS1, you have to solve multiple puzzles before being bottlenecked into discovering the secret of the missing soldier.

I can absolutely understand your concern when a game does not follow a consistant form of logic (or illogic) throughout a game. For example, if a cow is a pig in a game, you wouldn't expect a dog to be a dog in that given plain of continuity, if you catch my drift. I would hope not to find a Sam and Max or MI style puzzle in a game like The Moment of Silence or Scratches.

By the way, every puzzle IS a hinderance in a game, they do not do their job if they don't make you think. However, if I see that I have a candle and a match, I expect they will be used in conjunction with one another if the game follows that realistic reasonability. What I don't expect is to use the candle to reach a high object on a shelf and then use the match to poke someones eye out without any clue as to the possibilty of those given actions. Those kind of puzzles irk me like none other and do not rightly belong in an adventure game, or any game to be exact.