View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
andii

Thanks TangentBlack you have made some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
Since when has a puzzle not been a "pointless" hinderance in an adventure game? Even some of the most creative puzzles are just roadblocks preventing you to move forward. Without the occasional obscure and unusual puzzles, we would rarely be able to appreciate getting to the cinematic or progressing the plot.
I disagree with this. The good puzzles are part of the story. The reason I mentioned Monkey Island is it had the three quests for becoming a pirate section. Where if you got stuck on one quest there was two others to try (Disclaimer its been years and years since I have played MI so I could be wrong about this), I know there were parts of the game that were linear but it did have this non linear element. Plus the puzzle were part of the story, not a block to the story. For example learning how to sword fight, finding treasure and getting a crew. In Grim Fandango (in the part i played before giving up on it) the puzzles had little to do with anything as with the 'get into the cinema' puzzle in TLJ.

Its not open endedness I'm after. I'm after choice and options. Even KQ1 there were choices in the order you could solve puzzles. If you got stuck on one there were others to try. Yes you do have solve these puzzles eventually but they are not presented in a linear fashion, so you can tackle them at will.

The trouble with the 'get into the cinema' puzzle in TLJ is it destroyed any trust I have in the game to have logical puzzles. I guess its the adventure equivalent of leap of faith game play.