View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #18
aries323

-ehm-

sales figures for books, movies etc. are trade secrets too - at least here in Denmark, where I live. Only if a book or movie is big hit will the publishers release info on how well a book did on the market.

I don't understand it either. It is a matter of public information, I think.

Anyway, Funcom's financial records for the year 2006 should prove some clues as to how many units of Dreamfall were sold. However, as I've described above Dremfall became a bargain bin item less than a year after it was released, and that wasn't because of illegal copying.

It was because of the horrible fighting and stealth element being implemented in the game. It also meant that Zoƫ could die. April couldn't die in TLJ which was (and is) one of the selling points for my when I decided to buy TLJ back in 1999 or 2000. I also liked that you should use your head to figure TLJ out as well as the description of the two worlds intermixing and intertwining into each other.

In Dreamfall, it seems that for some odd reason Ragnar & Funcon wanted to expand on to people who liked stealth and fighting (beat 'em up) games. Unfortunately, neither the stealth nor the fighting elements were really done as well as the horrid :angry: control scheme meant that I simply couldn't figure out how to use the controls.

Dreamfall was clearly a game made for young males from 21+ or 25+, not a game that targeted the core of the adventure game market, guys and gals over 45+ or so.

And that's why it did sell slowly, I think...