View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #34
samIamsad
capsized.

Spot on review, if you don't mind me saying. Haven't played the full game yet and all.. This one's also hitting quite some nails on the head, it seems.

Quote:
By so rigidly defining what items you can examine and use, the game swiftly comes to feel restrictive. The impressively rendered backdrops become irrelevant, mere placeholders for the handful of items you'll need to MacGyver into a key-catching sluice guard, a laxative sandwich or a makeshift emerald. Logic rarely enters into it - the required solution is almost always the most unlikely and long-winded. It's like Occam's Razor in reverse.
Quote:
this mentality persists throughout the game. You're forced to jump through convoluted hoops to solve problems that would have an obvious and simple solution - if only the game would let you open that drawer, use that oven or simply treat the gameworld as a real place rather than a series of tiny independent pocket universes stocked with random objects.
Mind you, this doesn't look like a bad game. It's fairly competent. It's a work of honest craftsmanship. Judging from the really lengthy demo it is no more than that, though. After that I loaded another demo (no more finger pointing here) which didn't even last five minutes on my disk. So there!

So, stoopid "puzzles": How about the little rodent and his quest for the purse in Phantasma.. uh, never mind.

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-17-2007 at 02:05 AM.