View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
TekPunk182

Well, if we're going by perfect game elements, then for me at least, Dreamfall has more than its share of flaws: the interface was clunky, the puzzle elements too easy or too contrived, and the fighting elements were...weak.

If we're going by the game as a whole ,however, then Dreamfall--as a story-based game--stands head and shoulders above any of its contemporaries. The voice acting was fantastic, and the characters were very believable. Also, the art direction (discounting the graphics) was beautiful. The music fit very nicely as well, and added to the atmosphere. It was what got me back into adventure games after a hiatus after Grim Fandango.

As for Syberia, the criticisims that have already been pointed out are valid. However, the ambiance and the setting to me were key in that game. Some of the puzzles were challenging, others were easy, and some of the environments felt a little lifeless, but I will admit that I am a sucker for the ideas of clockwork devices, be they men or trains. Also, I loved the feeling of following after someone (Hans) and learning about them through the other people you meet and interact with.

It seems to me that a common theme here is that there haven't been any "perfect" games recently (or maybe not ever), but that the games we remember stand out because as a game, they are more than the sum of their parts. A few weak areas here and there are outweighed by all the things they did right.

Also, it sounds like I should play Black Mirror, I loved the first two Broken Sword games.