View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
Harald B
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques l'aliéné View Post
Sam & Max. Would you say that it's only significant detracting feature is shortish game length (something I've heard mention), or, considering its price, is it value for money ? Am I right in saying that it's not particularly long ? Are it's puzzles (difficulty level and originality), and story merit-worthy of consideration amongst the very best ?
No, it's definitely good value for money, and the combined size of Season One certainly amounts to a full-length game. To me the episodes not being long enough is not so much due to any measurable factor but more a matter of how they felt; often it would seem an episode was over before it got started properly.
The puzzles are a bit on the easy side, especially in the earlier episodes, but they are very original and a number of them truly memorable.
Paradoxically the writing is both the best part and the only significant detractor. It has deliciously crazy plot elements and a great sense of humour to put it on par with the best classics. But the reuse of the underlying plot structure made the episodes too predictable, and I blame the structure itself for making them seem too short, especially episodes 2 and 3.
The music, by the way, is the best I've experienced in any game genre since Master of Orion 2.

edit: If you want to talk individual episodes, I'd say Abe Lincoln Must Die! is the culmination and is near-perfect if you forgive it for not being a full-length game.

Last edited by Harald B; 09-08-2007 at 05:12 AM.