View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 06:14 PM   #18
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer
You're absolutely right about the level design in Thief offering infinitely more possibilities than Splinter Cell, Trep. SC was extremely linear in terms of path, no doubt about it. I should have said tactical choice, not strategic. More gadgets and weapons and physical abilities simply offered more variety in terms of handling any individual scenario. No way to approach the scenario from an entirely different perspective, though, like Thief or Deus Ex (still haven't gotten around to Hitman yet).
Splinter Cell has far more options in gadgets and weapons, but very few in environmental choices. Thief has few gadgets and weapon choices, but many possibilities in environmental strategies. I prefer Thief over Splinter Cell that way because it forces me to be more resourceful and creative in my play.

Quote:
I openly admit it's my lack of either obscene OR meditative levels of patience that shape my preference. After a handful of reloads in pure stealth, a double-tap was a welcome option. ... Never killed a guard in Thief, though. Just couldn't.
They say waiting sharpens the apetite. Yeah, it's the amount of patience demanded of the player, probably above other demands like cunning and skills. I swear, there were moments in Thief when I had to literally wait in the dark for several minutes to make my move (Cragscleft Prison was superb for this!!). It was brilliant, how the suspense just ate into me. I think Thief was the only game that truly had me on the edge of my seat.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien