View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #29
Terramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
As for how the 1st-person adventure 'nose-dived into oblivion', games like Aura still seem to be doing well enough. The impression I get is not that 1st-person AGs stopped selling, but that publishers turned away from them the same way they did from 3rd-person AGs in the late 90s. Certainly Detalion (developers of the Schizm games and Sentinel) stated outright that the reason they closed down was because they couldn't find a publisher, not because their games weren't selling.
In terms of sales figures they did nose-dive. That's why back in the 80's and 90's adventures were the mainstream whilst now they're niche. That's why they sell less, generally get worse production value, less advertisement and less profit now. That's why in the early 90's everyone knew what Myst was whilst in late in the decade, and now even, you mention Aura to the average gamer and they're likely to respond with eh?

Compared to the average game on the market, which I was referring to, adventures don't even scratch the sales figures of other games. At least not in countries out of European one's where they're somehow rising above. Probably the only AG worth mentioning selling significantly world-wide is Syberia.

And why couldn't these games find a publisher? Because these games were selling so well the publishers couldn't find anywhere to safe all the profit just piled in? I'm making a guess here so I may be wrong but I imagine it's because the profit was being made investing in other genres instead.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make was that it already had an established fanbase on its release, which gave it an automatic advantage over a game like Safecracker - meaning that it simply isn't fair to try and compare the sales of the two.
I'm not talking about a decade's time. I'm talking about now. Yes, I would like to think S & M is selling better, that's why I wrote 'I may be wrong'

Agreed, comparing Safecracker to S & M was illogical as you're perfectly right.

This is why I compared S & M to THE most established adventure, Myst, which as far as I can see, the final two sold rubbishly despite being big budget, from a well known brand and, you'd think, quite a big fanbase.

Both being well known franchises within the AG community and beyond, I think comparing the two is most fair.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 08-28-2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: fixed quote