View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #41
TheTwelve

Quote:
Yeah, if you're doing a goal-oriented puzzle here, i.e. if being able to properly sway the NPC is essential to the game's progress and angering them too much will actually block you from proceeding, then you'll definitely have to make things crystal clear to the player. Either that, or you'll have to provide an alternate solution to the puzzle, should the player fail to succeed at the swaying.
I'm trying to make few of them essential in my game. I want them to have more of a choice than pass or restart. For example, one time early in the game, if you can't sway someone, you'll lose out on a non-essential hint, but then later in the game, you meet that character again, and if you left her angry before, this part of the game has an extra puzzle to circumvent the NPC you pissed off. In another example, you're trying to make the conversation as long as possible to provide sort of a distraction. All roads lead to the eventual depletion of the Sway Bar and the resulting end of the conversation, but some lead there slower, allowing another character enough time to accomplish his task. I'm hoping that conversational puzzles that aren't a simple pass/fail multiple choice quiz can help engross the player in the characters.

Quote:
That said, I have indeed found that I've been doing a lot more writing (and thinking!) than I've ever had to do for any game I've written. It's been fun, though.
And that's the most important thing! Looking forward to it, Squinky!