View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Look, Warcraft III is clearly a strategy game. It's clearly not an RPG, even though it took some RPG elements. It's also clearly not an adventure. (I do think it's the same form as Sim City, though.) But the question remains, why am I so certain that it's a strategy game, as opposed to those other types of games?
If you can't say why you're so certain it's a strategy game then maybe that should tell you something.
Quote:
Warcraft III has a completely non-interactive and elaborate narrative, it has leveling-up and inventories and other such RPG elements, and almost the entirety of the game takes place in the fairly typical RTS battles. When I played it, I was certain it was a strategy game, and not an RPG.
Icewind Dale ! and II almost entirely consist of RTS battles. Unlike Baldur's Gate and its ilk there are virtually no quests that don't involve monster slaying as their primary component. You could just as well ask what makes these two games RPGs as opposed to strategy games, albeit ones where you have a fixed group of units (the PC party) and greater variety of enhancements (not just improved armour/weapons of Warcraft and the like)
Quote:
What do you think?
I think I still don't understand what you're trying to achieve here. You've admitted yourself that no definitions seems to work for games that are "generally considered" to fit into one of your two categories. Maybe the reason is that actual games are more complex than that and no definition can perfectly fit any game "believed" to belong in either of these two genres as a result. Maybe there just isn't an answer.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree