View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #17
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Perhaps the question you should be asking is, is it necessary to have these things closely defined?

Let's take Warcraft 3 for example.

Is it an RPG? The hero units advance in levels gaining more abilities and can pick up items to improve their stats.

Is it an adventure? You have to overcome a series of obstacles (most of them involving eradicating opposing forces admittedly) to advance a storyline. Whilst fighting is usually the best or only solution some missions benefit from a bit of lateral thinking to achieve the stated mission goals.

Is it a simulation? You have to manage resources (gold and wood) and build a functioning city (military camp) Lot of similarities ot Sim City for that part.

Is it a strategy game? This is undoubtedly the category that most people would fit it into but, as I've demonstrated above, you could fit bits of it into different genres.

Trying to say a game fits a rigid specific pigeonhole means lopping bits off the edges that don't fit. Far better to judge a game on its individual merits than to try to decide what other games it should sit beside.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree