View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
ozzie

Man. I'm glad to be german.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
The current popularity suggests, at least in theory, that Germany never really had a "golden era" of adventures. Not necessarily that they never had access to some of the big LucasArts/Sierra games, but that the genre was never really mainstream back then. This all strikes me as a culture who's discovered a new toy and finds it novel and fun, while anyone who's already played that toy to death and moved on is bored by it now.

Or... maybe Germans just like adventures more. Anyone from Germany that can comment on the genre's popularity back in the day?

All of the games being written in English (at least, the ones I mentioned) are by native English speakers.
It seems that adventure games were always more popular here in Germany.
There was an interview with Hal Barwood recently on Adventure-Treff.
He said that production of Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix was canceled because the storyline seemed to be too controversial for Germany. It dealt with Nazis that persisted after World War II. Germany was always an imporant market for adventures.
And no, we're not just behind the current trends, we're just different.

I second Squinky. I wished some games wouldn't be so americanized.
Not that I have anything against american culture, but I'm not sure why we should copy when we can do it our own way.
But of course, there are some unique exceptions like TLJ, Syberia and Black Mirror (the german version is good, really! ).
Okay, these are only from Europe, not Germany.
I'm not sure if Germany ever produced a truly original title. Overclocked may be a good game, but I have the feeling that the aesthetic is copied from Hollywood...
The Moment of Silence looked like Hollywood-style. Jack Keane is definately inspired by Monkey Island.
Secret Files:Tunguska isn't also very original as a conspiracy thriller.
Okay, I'm honest. I never played those games, so correct me when I'm wrong, but I had the impression of those.

I think there were some unique adventure games from a studio called Weltenschmiede (not to confused with the new Weltenschmiede which produces Ceville atm). But they weren't that great according to reviews.

Quote:
Was Fahrenheit originally French or English?
Quantic Dream is a french studio, but I'm not sure if it was either produced in french or english initially.

Quote:
It is horrible, Germany and France dominating the adventure genre... What will be next...
Um.....Kasachstan??