View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #143
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I can't stand up for Elvis, except to say that he was the right man for the right moment. Imeancomonnow, his early days changed things. But later, yeah, yawn.

However, the Beatles I will stand up for. They had both the moment going for them and the talent to drive the genre into new areas. They were evolutionary and we own them a lot. You cant analyze their charts and claim them to be simply derivative--they are one of the best examples of a group that took contemporary into totally new areas and continued to do so for years.

They were most definitely innovative. I don't understand any viewpoints that counter that.
I second everything this man just said.

But I'll give Elvis a little more credit. Both were incredibly influential and you can be assured that today's music scene would be drastically different had neither come around (unless you'd like to argue that it was inevitable someone would popularize "black" music in the case of Elvis).

But I simply won't have any defamation of the Beatles. Maybe the rabid fans eating up all the myriad b-side and unreleased tracks and the whole Beatlemania thing are a little unnecessary. But listen to their later recordings (I say Revolver or Sgt. Peppers was their first essential album, others might say Help!) and you can really see how influential they were especially in terms of production.