View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #57
Nelza

I have a story - I used to live in an outback town that is almost smack bang in the middle of Australia. I recall that most nights I'd lie awake because I could see a silhouette of an Aboriginal man standing in front of the window. I spent those nights with my head under the covers but I'd still put it down to me creating those visions and making myself scared.

Not too long after, my parents have a friend from Melbourne stay with us. I bunk with my sister while he stays in my room. The next morning he tells my parents that there is a spirit of a traditional Aboriginal man lingering around my room who is angry about the painting hanging up in there. They go and look at the painting he's talking about which is indeed an Aboriginal painting.

It doesn't make sense because it's a happy painting - painted by an Aboriginal woman depicting their tradition of honey ant collecting. My dad takes down the painting and rolls it up which lifts the vibe immediately.

The next time my dad's in town he runs into an Aboriginal local and tells him the story to see if he can make sense of it. The man tells my dad that our house is located on Aboriginal Man's land, meaning that no Aboriginal Women were allowed. Explains why he was angry at the painting depicting Aboriginal Women's tradition.

My parents didn't actually tell me those happenings until after we'd moved away. They thought it would keep my up at night.