View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #790
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Keep us updated on your impressions, I got a strange urge to play something like that after seeing a trailer for Silent Hunter 4.
I didn't get very far yesterday, still learning the basics of navigating the boat and so such. When trying to torpedo a british cargo ship West of Engerland, not a single one of them hit. The ship just turned around, hit me and I sank. Gibraltar from 1941 onwards is just a nail-biter, phew! There's like a ton of nifty details put into everything, like the voice overs that actually change in tone once you tell the engineer to switch to Schleichfahrt. Or when you leave a harbour, there's people everywhere, waving, and a band's playing the German national anthem all the while seagulls are all around. Pretty pretty.

The best thing is that there's like a dozen options to scale the level of realism and simulation. You CAN do pretty much anything on your own, but you don't have to. That's awesome and would be much too steep a learning curve for me. If you don't mind playing the "bad" guys , and if you have the patience, it's worth a look. The look and feel is just.. there. Out of the 40,000 German U-boat crew members only 10,000 made it home alive, and that one time I tried to pass Gibraltar, woah, that WAS tense. Is it just me or are the best war games coming from Eastern Europe these days? Flashpoint, Armed Assault, now this...

There's no demo, but this video captures the mood of the game pretty well.

Last edited by samIamsad; 08-02-2007 at 07:10 AM.