Thread: Dead Reefs Demo
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #47
Christian IV
Adventure Game Researcher

Sad to say, market research seems sadly neglected these days and quite a few game developers and designers seem either totally ignorant of what works in terms of controls or like they want to make a statement by coming up with schemes that are designed for 12 fingered left handed members of a species yet undiscovered.

I have to test and try each new control scheme and hardware peripheral, but I still use a keyboard and a mouse for my own testing and research. I am glad people enjoy consols and gamepads, and really really glad there are good games for them, and everyone is happy which what they enjoy.

As for bad controls, there is no point to go any farther I am afraid. I tested BloodRayne II last night and they had an inverted control scheme that moved that game into the waaaay in the future to do list for me, I just do not have the time or the energy with so many good and great games to play through, to fight poor design at such a basic level. I am afraid Dead Reefs is moving right up into the future with BloodRayne II thanks for all the great imput here. I will always make an exception to this strategy of priortizing if there is hope of a hidden masterpiece and I have returned to try again at some games with difficult control schemes, but generally find my first deicison to delay or not play was a good one. The interface (controls, game layout, etc.) is our way of "feeling" the game and I want that flow through to be as seamless as possible so "I" can get into it. Sorry AG, better luck next time, and pls spend more time on the control design, stick with the classics, WASD With Mouse look, etc. , it is a classic for a reason.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs