View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #29
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I think of my players as human beings. What does that make me, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Also, the common notion that such a perceived "genre" as "adventure games™" is pretty much the only perceived genre being close to perceived "interactive storytelling", well, I'm gonna play the party pooper here.
I've said elsewhere that I prefer developing adventure games over other genres because they involve creating gameplay around a story rather than creating a story around gameplay. I tried to think about designing a 3D platformer once, but the only plots I could come up with felt more shallow and action-movie-esque than I wanted. Not knocking that as a valid story, of course, but I want to do something more akin to quirky indie films. (Apologies for the cinematic metaphors, of course.)

Of course, one could argue that to develop an adventure game using the genre's conventions, you'd be pretty much limited to detective-type plots, and that's another area where it could be argued that I don't really make Adventure Games™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Great! Because any definition of what is perceived to be a story™ has to be thrown away, even more so once such a drastically different medium comes along. Or like that old saying goes: The sole purpose of "definitions" is to challenge them.
Woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
They say art imitates life, and nothing is more uncertain or changeable than life.
And with different playable angles to a story, we might just be able to see life in a different way.