View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #22081
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
There's a recent trend, in this part of the world, for people to write their own vows. Instead of just repeating the words the registrar, or holy person of their choice, instructs them to say (which is bad enough in itself), now people like to reel off a stream of soppy crap, intermingled with the monotonies of their life story.
Say, that's a great idea! I'll have to think about what I'm going to have to say at my wedding. Something like:

My dearest Melaniesixtyeight,

I was born in the winter of 1985, to a pair of eccentric immigrant parents in the vast expanses of Saskatchewan. As a child, I was extremely precocious and constantly made fun of as a result. At the age of ten, I decided that I wanted to make video games. At the age of twenty, I became Supreme Ruler of the Universe. Sadly, people are still having to adjust to this fact. It breaks my heart.

Of course, you probably don't care about a word of any of this, and probably shouldn't. The point is, darling, that I promise from the bottom of my heart to completely neglect and occasionally make a complete fool out of you. (That is, until one of us dies (most likely you), or until I get tired of bothering you and decide to find a new forum spouse.) I hope that you find as much joy from this arrangement as I undoubtedly will, but if you don't, then that's okay, because I probably won't even care all that much.

I wish I could stand here and chat with you some more, but I really, really want to have the cake already.

With regurgitated sentimentality,
Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
A good dirge far surpasses the wedding marches offered by Wagner and Mendelssohn.
"Poor Unfortunate Souls" is my personal favourite. Though maybe I should play that at the wedding...