View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #52
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Y'know, comic writers are often guilty of spoiling their own stories, on a tiny scale. How often have you read a comic strip where you notice the last panel first, ruining the joke? 'Cause it happens to me all the time. The trouble is panels that stand out too much from the rest of the page, either because of coloring or content or most importantly panel placement. Sometimes I'll come across a huge plot twist in a comic book coming at the end of a page in a big, flashy panel. It ruins the momentum of the story because your eye is drawn to that big panel first, with its shocking content, and only then do you go back to the earlier panels which set it up and explain what it's doing there. (Those earlier panels then have lost the emotional value they were meant to have.) In order to avoid such problems, big reveals should either be only after a page turn, or drawn to blend with the rest of the page.

Anyway, my basic point (if indeed there was one) is that creators can sometimes be guilty of spoiling scenes too.