Thread: Dead Reefs Demo
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #45
crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla9 View Post
But would it really make a difference whether your right and left hand are pushing buttons on a keyboard on or on a gamepad? I dunno, maybe you could move better with an analog stick. As it was, having four keys to move didn't work well.
I don't know whether this particular game would be easier with a gamepad than not. But I've found with certain other keyboard games (like BS3) that the gamepad was easier because I didn't have to unlearn the keyboard controls I was used to (and then have to go and relearn them when I went back to playing my other games).

Quote:
I've played other games with the same movement controls, just the four keys, no mouse involved, but the navigation paths in this game (not that I got far, I'm mainly speaking of the boat in the demo) and the game response to my attempts to turn and run were infuriatingly slow and confusing.
That aspect doesn't sound like it would be improved with a gamepad. It may be that response to user input is quicker on faster computers with faster video cards. Minimum specs for video card were listed as NVidia Geforce 5200fx or ATI Radeon 9200 but Recommended specs were listed as NVidia Geforce 6600fx or ATI Radeon 9800. That's quite a difference in speed and I suspect the minimum was understated. Of course I don't know what kind of card you have in your computer.

Quote:
I can't remember if Grim Fandango had a similar 4-button movement thing,
No it didn't. It used the arrow keys for movement like a normal game. There were a lot of keys to learn, but it wasn't like I had to unlearn all the keyboard controls I'd learned playing other games.

Quote:
And in agreement with other posters, the slight up-and-down motion when you run is a little nausea-inducing and makes it harder to navigate.
They have bobbing and they don't let you turn it off? That makes me wonder about the last time the developers played an action game.

Quote:
A shame, because in terms of story and atmosphere, this is totally my kind of game. I was willing to forgive a lot if the story and puzzles were good. From the reviews I've read, they are, it's just that the controls hinder actually being able to play the game without tearing your hair out. :-(
Good thing you tried the demo.