View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #41
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

OK, so let's assume that AGS is very usable in its current state. In that case, all other engines should just stop development. Everybody should use AGS. There's no point in the other engines, AGS is perfect!

Conversely: Wintermute is perfect. Everybody should just use Wintermute, all other engines are totally useless! Even though their features are pretty much the same! Only some minor differences in approach that others might like more than others! AGS has an Editor some people don't like, some people find its IDE heavy, others dislike using an engine that doesn't let you choose any resolution they like with Alpha Blending and Hardware Transforming & Lightning. Maybe the fact that the amount of items and rooms is limited makes them suspicious of the underlying architecture. And some people dislike doing something just because everybody else is doing it: other engines are a cool and equally viable alternative. And then there's those people who just happened to learn Wintermute when they were little kids and can now use it fluently and see no point in learning Yet Another Adventure Programming Environment. Why don't you use Wintermute? Seriously, why? It's perfect!

Then again, somebody in some thread said that Wintermute crashed on his computer the first time he tried it, I can understand how that might be off-putting. It has never crashed on me but it can definitely happen! And it might have some other features others dislike, especially for those who want to make games without any programming or whatever. I have no problems with that, I have some experience in programming languages.

Yes, Wintermute is perfect, so I have no reason to use AGS.

Last edited by Wormsie; 07-12-2007 at 03:42 AM.