View Single Post
Old 03-14-2004, 12:01 PM   #59
Mnemonic
Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Mnemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingBLAOW
This may have been covered already, and if it has I apologize, but I have one question regarding AGS, WME etc etc. How are they for game size? I know now-a-days it is really a non issue with cheap storage and faster computers, but do these programs create games that have a file sizes that balloon to be larger than if you were to code them from scratch? I understand that they will all naturally be a bit bigger but is it by a considerable amount?

The resulting size is highly dependent on the game content; on the game resolution, number of scenes, number of animations, sounds, music etc. etc. The size of the engine runtime is insignificant. If your point is "the engines are full of various functionality most games won't ever use, therefore they make the games bigger", that's not the case, if you were to "code it from scratch", you'd probably save few hundreds of kilobytes at most.
As AGA said, average AGS game is about 2-3MB big, since the average AGS game uses 320x200 resolution. Most WME games use higher resolutions resulting in larger data files.