Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #2676
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
*pats Panthera's back*
What can I say.......men......

I can't say anything about the movie because, to be honest, that's probably the last movie I'd ever watch .
But please give me your opinion on Memoirs of a Geisha. My daughter has talked about it and we've been close to renting it a couple of times but always ended up with something else.

Memoirs is a movie with a very strong child actor, lovely costumes and setting and a harsh storyline. I think they've done a few mistakes in the story and plot progression, but all in all I liked it. It's a drama, and really a drama, that I think is more suited for women than for men, because a lot of the feelings and relationships between the women are very subtle, and might not be picked up on by some men. Also the fact that the movie is over 2 hours long, and don't seem boring is very good, especially for a drama.

I can't judge it on how it shows the Japanese geisha culture, since I don't know much about it, but it doesn't have a lot of "Hollywood" in it (not shown sex, no action etc.), and I mean that as a good thing.
I recommend watching it, but probably not when you plan on having a happy time eating some pizza and watching a good movie, maybe when you feel a bit down, and want to see something sad with a happy ending..

Ended up giving it:
7/10

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery