View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #15
Harald B
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green View Post
However, I may be wrong, but almost every one of the hundreds of Quest/Adventures I've played encourage (nay, demand) that the player become a combination of burglar & kleptomaniac... "pick up everything that's not nailed down" being the general "moral (???) philosophy" pervading almost every one of these games (even more risible when the hero[ine] walks around for ages with such items as ladders, sledgehammers, pickaxes, etc. in their pockets!!).
Quite right. If I ever get around to making an adventure game, I'm going to call it "Kleptomania".
The phenomenon draws plenty of in-game jokes, but meanwhile the expectation patterns have gotten so bad that games where you can only pick up items after you know they're useful are considered annoying (though typically because the player realizes that a certain item is needed far sooner than the main character does).
Mm, maybe someone should make an adventure game with a LOT of useless items and a scoring system that rewards picking up as few as possible.