View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
Len Green

Although I taught Physics for 40 years, I'm extremely poor on Philosophy.
Hence all the above about 'Morals', e.g.'moral philosophy', 'moral relativism', etc. is way,way, above my head.

However, I may be wrong, but almost every one of the hundreds of Quest/Adventures I've played encourage (nay, demand) that the player become a combination of burglar & kleptomaniac... "pick up everything that's not nailed down" being the general "moral (???) philosophy" pervading almost every one of these games (even more risible when the hero[ine] walks around for ages with such items as ladders, sledgehammers, pickaxes, etc. in their pockets!!).

I do however agree 200% in not enjoying the very many games described so admirably (as as always) by Squinky as :-
Quote:
The most conventional model of doing so <<<making a game interactive>>> in the adventure genre, popularized by various well-loved commercial games from the eighties and nineties, is to create a set of logic puzzles splattered throughout key points in the story to serve as obstacles. Gameplay then proceeds in small chunks of "solve the puzzle, advance the plot slightly, solve another puzzle, advance the plot a bit more", and so on.
I am at present beta-testing, or in most cases advanced alpha-testing, of 4 "commercial" games (Greece, Sweden, Turkey, Gemany), 2 from Indy Developers & 2 from larger companies.
I would love to alpha or beta test Squinky's new game. All of her previous ones I've enjoyed immensely to date (and even wrote a walkthrough for one!)

Cheers ....... Len ( [email protected] )