View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Default Adv Architect Series (Squinky, I like you as a friend)

Interesting third entry in the Adventure Architect series, Squink. Obviously it recalls a number of discussions we've had here on the forum. Maybe Trep will finally get the kind of adventure game he's been asking for all of these years.

I remain pretty doubtful that making moral choices can provide sufficient satisfying gameplay. Given that all these events are imaginary, it takes a lot of skill to make players really care about the results of their actions in the first place, and I think the addition of options/branching paths tends to trivialize it even further. If you stab the guard it doesn't really mean anything, because you can just go back and not stab him. The problem is that players are merely acting (role-playing, in the strictest meaning of the word) and feel no responsibility for immoral actions: they're just having a look at the evil path, and next time they'll probably play as good to see the difference. Potentially amusing, but it doesn't really lead to any great moral dilemmas.

A lot of adventure games have done similar things in the past, too. The Pandora Directive and Blade Runner may be the most obvious ones. Is what you're attempting different from that?