View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #36
ATMachine
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
No one, least of all Ron Gilbert himself, wants to diminish Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman's contributions. Gilbert mentions Shafer, at the very least, in just about every interview about MI. On the other hand, you seem to hold Schafer and Grossman in extremely high regard almost the exclusion of Ron doing anything good at all!
Perhaps I haven't been entirely clear.

I respect Ron for coming up with the idea for MI; without him there wouldn't have been a series to speak of. Perhaps even more important than that are his contributions to the modern graphic adventure: the elimination of dead ends; the disdain for unnecessary death sequences; the expectation that the player shouldn't solve puzzles with knowledge the protagonist doesn't have; the creation of an interface that made text parsers unnecessary; the popularization of cutscenes to advance the story. Adventures that violate these rules are seen as inferior, and we have him to thank for it. Without Ron Gilbert the graphic adventure would be a far different beast.

My campaign is not to discredit him for what he has done. Rather, I am campaigning against the hero-worshipping of Ron by people who make him into a saint. All this talk of his "plan" for MI3, and the notion that a new MI game wouldn't be good without him, make me sick. He's only human, and I think he's exaggerated to some degree what ideas he did have, and kept them secret so we'd all have our tongues wagging. As noknowncure said in another thread, it's self-marketing.

The man's made some great games; more importantly, he created the modern conception of what an adventure should be. But let's not credit him for things he may not have done, or act like his game ideas are all descended from heaven.