Thread: Gun Owners?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #63
PILMAN

Send a message via AIM to PILMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
That's the standard argument. However cars, aerosols and video games etc are not designed specifically to kill.

Guns are.

I don't believe in banning guns anyway. It's waaaaaaay too late in the US. There is no way you could round up all the guns in the country.

Tighter controls on new guns and bullets on the other hand may work, but probably still too easy to get on the black market. Bans don't tend to work, just psh thigs underground and make it harder for the normal punter to buy.

Maybe it's an edcational thing that would stop the population from being so scared of their own people. As someone pointed out in a population of 300 million and 22,000 deaths meanng I should carry a concealed weapon because there is a 0.00733333333% chance I migh be shot dead. Crazy.
Again, the murder rate is not 22,000. It is 8,259.

We have 22,000 gun laws in the book, how many more do you want?

guns are made to shoot a projectile in an accurate and repeatable fashion, now what the PERSON holding the gun decides to do with that capability is up to them

However if you feel guns are one of the major issues in deaths in this country

So are cars, swimming pools, chainsaws, chlorine bleach, smoking, alcohol, etc.

The arguement that banning guns won't work means that criminals still have a source to get firearms. The majority of criminals are repeat offenders and felons who cannot get a firearm legally so they resort to getting them from the streets or steal them. Where are they stealing the guns from? Police departments (believe it or not a large number of firearms are stolen from evidence), gun buyback programs (yes a lot return to the streets), and people who purchase them legally. That means in order to cut off a major supply, you would effectively have to completely ban all firearms in the country, hire more than the current 180,000 cops patrolling our streets and have police that instantly respond to crime, not 15-20 minutes.

The point is, I hear the arguement "well don't ban them, just heavily restrict them" does nothing, it doesn't cut off the criminals source.

Completely banning them won't work either, evidence points to countrys like South Africa, Mexico, Russia, India, etc. that have completely banned ownership yet have had increased murder rates and crime as a result.

Even if every gun were destroyed in this country, they only constitute about 10 percent of violent crime in the country. Seeing as criminals conduct their business here selling drugs or whatever else they do, i'm sure they'll come up with a quick replacement. If the other arguement involves accidental deaths and suicides, well that's a whole other topic and I'd be happy to debate it if needbe.