Thread: Gun Owners?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #40
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
The new rifle the Israelis are using is supposed to replace the m16/m4 over time. It is developed by IWI (Israel Weapons Industries) and known as the Tavor TAR-21. The weapon is being used to a limited extent currently by special forces and certain units. It's based off the m16 design in ways but due to the bullpup design, the gun is much shorter so it's more compact. Currently the gun is being exported to Colombia (i've already seen pictures of it in use there), India (they have a license to produce it), Portugal, Georgia, Germany, and Costa Rica. It's not a bad weapon especially if it is going to be used for urban warfare. If I were fighting in the desert, I would want a Galil however.
Heh. I've got to be the only person on the planet with a terrible dislike of the M-16. As far as being modular, yes. A lot of NATO rifles, like the L85, have interchangable magazines with the rifle, and the M203 has certainly proved itself over and over again, but as far as a civilian rifle it's just not what I would ever be interested in. Still, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of things you don't get?

I like history. Guns are historic. But more than that, I can think of no other hobby that opens such a wide variety of scientific, historical and social topics. Do golfers discuss the metallurgy in their clubs? No. Do bowlers discuss the historical significance of the pins? No. Guns, reloading and shooting have introduced me to metallurgy, history, physics, chemistry, research, mathematics, social studies, law, politics, military history, wildlife biology, mechanics and a host of other sciences.
Agreed. Firearms are in themselves a science. Also, I'm sure zoologists can't understand why someone would be interested in astrophysics. The biologist can't understand why some people are attracted to computer science, or the geologist equally is stumped as to the fascination with political science. It's just a matter of personal interest in a subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog
Thanks Gil
No problem.