View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #36
Isak
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I have been wondering about Dragon Quest 8. It looks interesting, but I hate to begin a series out of order. Can someone tell me about the history of the Dragon Quest series? Are the previous games any good? What format was they released on? When? Whats most important for me to know though is if DQ8 continues the story of the earlier games.
Dragon Quest 8 was the first Dragon Warrior (that's right, it's called Dragon Warror in USA and Japan) to be released in Europe. They are just like the Final Fantasy games; no DW games connects to eachother, so you can easily play this game. The previous Dragon Warrior was released by Enix, and actually, Enix released their first DW game before the first Final Fantasy. Guess where Square got "inspiration" (yes they stole the whole concept) for their brilliant interface in Final Fantasy?
Anyway, when Square and Enix teamed up some years ago they figured "Hey! Let's release some games in Europe", and that's why we got games like Dragon Quest 8 and Star Ocean 3.
The previous games in the Dragon Warrior series was released for different formats. The first ones was released for Nintendos Famicon (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) and some were released for the Playstation 1.

Phew... But I recommend you to play Dragon Quest 8. It's a really good game with good story, nice gameplay and good looking graphics, esp. if you like the manga style.
And the music is brilliant, actaully I would go as far as say it's has one of the best musicparts in the PS2 history.
They interface used is very easy to get into, and what I thought was a bit original was that you start in the "middle" of the story, that means you've get to see what have happened and why you are on a journey.
Go and play it now