View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
The person that reviewed Myst IV: Revelation on this site thought it felt a lot like Riven. I wouldn't know.
Myst IV was not much like Riven IMO. Although Myst IV had pretty graphics, the puzzles in general weren't as well designed. There were some real stinkers and some anachronisms that ruined the immersiveness for me.

Finding a game like Riven is very difficult. The two RHEM games had similar puzzles, but the graphics weren't comparable to those in Riven. I'm not just talking about the resolution, but the gameworld itself was more interesting in Riven. The RHEM games are more notable for their puzzles than for anything else, and may not be what you're looking for.

Alida remined me somewhat of Riven, though it still wasn't as lifelike and the puzzles weren't as good as in Riven.

Schizm may be the closest in terms of attractive graphics and atmosphere, and many of the puzzles are similar to Riven's as well. If you decide to try it, try to get the DVD version. The graphics are blurry in the CD version, at least one puzzle was removed, and some of the recorded messages that helped explain the story were also deleted in order to to squeeze the game onto 4 CD's.

The other games that Fienepien listed would be worth trying too. Especially Zork Nemesis.