View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #105
ATMachine
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
FUnny, the stereotype I've got through American sitcoms is that in America people wear shorts - and they regard men who wear speedos as gay, which I think is funny and typically American.
It's not uncommon where I live for young people to wear shorts when casually dressed--I have several pairs hanging in my closet right now.

Really it's quite necessary for comfort in the Florida heat (even cotton trousers can get overly warm) so no one my age thinks much of it. However, the older a person is, the less likely he'll be wearing shorts. Most elderly people wear light trousers, and you certainly can't wear shorts to the office.

I see a vast amount of difference between shorts and Speedos myself. A standard pair of men's shorts goes down to just above the knee, about the same as a pair of swim trunks.

Most Americans think speedos especially show too much skin, a factor exacerbated by the fact that the people wearing them are often older males. Which is why we don't have a problem with about the same amount of cloth for nubile females.