View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #103
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Speaking of bikinis and beaches, do European men wear speedos or shorts to the beach? The stereotype I've heard in the states is that they wear speedos, which we think is odd because we wear shorts.
FUnny, the stereotype I've got through American sitcoms is that in America people wear shorts - and they regard men who wear speedos as gay, which I think is funny and typically American.

I prefer speedos myself, and in all swimming halls in Finland wearing shorts is prohibited - because people tend to wear the same shorts outside as they wear on the beach, so the swimming hall might get sand and other dirt in it and they don't want that. So in swimming halls you see speedos, on the beach most people wear shorts because they are more practical and "appropriate" there, though it's not uncommon or wrong to wear speedos.

EDIT: On the other hand, the subject of "hmm, what will I wear for beach today" doesn't come up often in Finland with our -20 degrees Celsius winters... Finland doesn't really have many beaches anyway. Swimming in some distant countryside lake with your friends (male and female) in the nude is also not uncommon.

Last edited by Wormsie; 06-11-2007 at 10:27 AM.