View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
It's a matter of preference: you like adventure games, so you should like everything about them. It's like "i like westerns, but only Sergio Leone, not John Ford". And 1st person or 3rd person, after all, has NOTHING to do about interactivity: don't tell me than in Still Life, Syberia or Black Mirror there is much more interactivity than in your average 1st person adventure.
Why? Personally, I do like Leone westerns but not Ford ones. I don't see how enjoying one thing imposes a duty on me to like something else.

While it's ridiculous that people should have to justify their preferences, there are many reasons why I tend to steer clear of 1st-person games. The navigation is often confusing (I particularly dislike the 360-degree spinning found in most modern node-based games), there's a general lack of character interaction and conversation, the stories often seem like an afterthought, I find the 3D-rendered graphics anonymous and sterile, and the mechanical/logical puzzles feel like brain-teasers rather than organic challenges. True, there are 3rd-person games that are no more interactive, but as a rule I don't like those games either.

The article is a load of nonsense. It appears to assume that the purpose of adventure game communities is to provide developers and publishers with a ready market for whatever games they want to put out. Nope, sorry! That's not what we're here for, and any failure to live up to this "responsibility" is not our problem. If people would rather talk about Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight than your latest release, well, suck it up. People are going to buy (and discuss) whatever games they want, and as long as they are informed about the options that are out there (something adventure game sites do a pretty good job of) you shouldn't think you're entitled to anything more.

Also, this obsession with "epic" adventure games is just sad. An adventure game doesn't have to be 20 hours+ to be memorable. Is Samorost epic? The funny thing is that the writer performs a pretty reasonable analysis of the adventure game community and market, but instead of asking himself "what can I do to release a successful adventure game given this situation?" (and there are several pretty obvious steps to take) he wants the world to change to suit him. Good luck with that, mate!