View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #17
noknowncure

I think part of the problem is that the original concepts, characters and stories, were not written with computer games in mind. These elements are therefore squeezed into an alien format and have to be forced to work, instead of naturally working.

These are characters and places that people follow fanatically and I doubt that any representation will truly live up to their imagination, let alone a stiffly animated, computer generated version.

I'm not being very clear, but I suppose with each transition from the original work, the format changes slightly and is corrupted, with diminishing returns.

I'm sure it's possible, but I imagine it to be highly unlikely, that a truly great game will ever be made this way.

Most excellent games, have at their core great gameplay and interesting characters. If you're discovering characters for the first time through a game you enjoy, chances are you'll take to them and perhaps even grow to like/love them.

When you meet Sherlock Holmes, for example, in a game, you probably already have your own idea about what he's like, and if the game fails to deliver and engage you in that respect, there's an immediate handicap.

I don't know if I'm making sense, it's quite a tricky concept to explain. There's a whole bunch of words that I've just typed, that, maybe if you experiment, mix them up and rearrange them however you like, may become more coherent.

Last edited by noknowncure; 06-10-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Commas. Just commas.