View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
noknowncure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermostatic View Post
This is my biggest problem with current adventure games. For all the talk about adventure games having the best stories, none of these stories or settings interests me in the slightest. It's like they're all stuck in the 19'th century. I want to see some more Sci Fi stories, or a detective story that doesn't have to do with secret societies and ancient artifacts.
I'm not too bothered about the setting - although you are right; there has been an annoying, recent trend of setting games in desolate, 19th century locations from literature - but I am annoyed by the fact that it's raiding other people's ideas instead of creating new ones. It's not like they even make games that are worthy of the source material They just come up with a fairly middling, half-arsed concept, stick an icons name on the cover and hope it sells.

We end up with derivative, lacklustre games, that often have very little to do with the famous characters they so woodenly emulate.

Fair enough, make some - there's obviously going to be an audience for the next Sherlock Holmes game - but please stop making games with sub-heading's like: "Inspired by the final paragraph of a footnote Jules Verne penned, at the bottom of a particularly in depth shopping list."

Just invent your own story. Stop raping literature.