View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #99
dGalloway

Okay, I'll be honest. It's been a while since I played adventure games, with school and all. However, I still have at least one game ending I loved, and a lot I disliked immensely.

Best Ending:

King's Quest VI: Although it's obviously not going to win any "Greatest Endings EVAR!" awards, it's probably the only adventure game that really makes me feel like what I did actually mattered. The numerous variations on the ending, ranging from just rushing in to actually trying to solve the mystery, added a sense of depth to what was otherwise a pretty straightforward ending.

(There are probably others, but my mind is pretty much zapped right now.)

Worst Endings:

Myst: Okay, I played through hours upon hours of hellish gameplay, solving overly-complicated puzzles and getting totally lost along the way, and...I get NOTHING?!

Monkey Island 2: Note to video gaming industry: Unless you have a guaranted sequel on the way, and the rest of the story mapped out, don't end your game with a cliffhanger. It will not drive interest in your game past the usual levels, it will not guarantee high sales, and it will only serve as a point of contention for the rest of eternity.

Indigo Prophecy: Yes, I'm in the US. Yes, I suck. But man, this game just angered me to no end. The endings make no sense by virtue of the fact that over a third of the plot was completely skipped. All that way just to get my butt kicked by a giant purple thing? And if I manage to beat it, all I get is a slightly happier voice over? COME ON!

Zork: Grand Inquisitor: It's sad to see it on this list, since I loved everything up to this point. (Well, except for the frequent crashing.) The cutscene itself makes little sense, and I didn't actually care much for the text adventure screens, mostly because they were mere preludes to another system crash. Furthermore, the ending itself was pretty lousy, although
Spoiler:
seeing the Grand Inquisitor seemingly zapped by a coconut had me in stitches.